Wednesday, January 24, 2024

First RA prompt, Feb 28

1. I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!

So you just finished The Circus of the Damned. The next book in the series is The Lunatic Cafe. You can look up your favorite authors on fantasticfiction.com to get their books listed in order. Enjoy!

2. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.

You might try The Orchardist by Amanda Coplan–Novelist.com describes it as lyrical, same as Barbara Kingsolver, but it’s also described as “compelling,” so may be the page-turner you’re looking for.

Another lyrical writer, Richard Powers, wrote a great book called The Overstory, which you might want to try if you also appreciated Kingsolver’s “green” message–it features a lot of different characters and has an exciting ending.

3. I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!

I can personally recommend Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. It’s about a girl sold into slavery in the 1920’s in Japan who becomes a famous geisha.

You might also like Pachinko by Min Jin Lee.  It’s about a family in Japan-occupied Korea in the early 1900’s who move to Japan. It’s long and has a lot of characters, but I found it really compelling.

4. I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?

Have you read anything by Louise Penny? Still Life is the first in her Inspector Gamache series. The stories are set in a small village in Canada, the characters are three dimensional, and Novelist describes both authors as “lyrical” writers.

P.D. James’s Inspector Dalgliesh novels are similar to Elizabeth George’s work: both are set in England with fleshed-out detectives. The first one in the series, Cover Her Face, is from 1962!

5. My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?

How about Colson Whitehead’s Zone One? It’s about rebuilding civilization while fighting the last of the zombies in Manhattan.

He might also enjoy The Living Dead, it’s a collection of zombie-themed short stories by different authors including Clive Barker, Laurell K. Hamilton, Stephen King, and Neil Gaiman.

6. I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.

Coming soon to theaters is a book I enjoyed, Lessons in Chemistry, by Bonnie Garmus, which is about a female chemist in the 60’s who ends up hosting a cooking show. It was funny, infuriating, and hard to put down.

Using novelist.com, I found three other recent books-to-movies:

You might like Normal People by Sally Rooney, about a popular boy and a shy girl who are secret friends and whose roles get reversed when they go to college in Dublin.

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens was made into a movie not too long ago. It’s about a hermit girl who is accused of murder in the marshes of North Carolina in the 1960’s.

Fleishman is in Trouble by Taffy Brodesser-Akner is about a marriage falling apart, but the character studies and tone are, according to novelist.com, “sardonic.”

7. I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean and fast paced.

I found a couple of recommendations on a Goodreads discussion that you might want to try: 

Dan Brown’s Angels and Demons is the first in the Robert Langdon series, where a religion professor is called in to help solve a murder that may involve the illuminati. Novelist describes Dan Brown’s books as fast-paced, suspenseful, and plot-driven.

Michael Crichton’s books are action-packed and richly detailed. Some are more adventure than thriller–an oldie, but I recommend Jurassic Park. I found the science fiction angle interesting as well as thrilling.

Second, after you get a chance to do the readings, I want to hear about how you find books to read. It could be a site or a resource you've just discovered or one you've used for years, one you use for yourself or for your patrons or family and friends. It could even be the New York Times or Tiktok!

My best resource for good books is my mom! After that, I do tend to judge a book by its cover, at least I start with whether the cover and title are intriguing, then read the book jacket. I listen to NPR review books, and come across book reviews when browsing online. I have used Novelist to find new authors I might like. I rely heavily on Novelist to make recommendations to patrons and friends.


7 comments:

  1. Hi Jenni,

    I really like how you answered the first prompt as if you were holding a conversation with the patron! I also appreciate how you include personal recommendations (in addition to 'professional' ones).

    And what a great resource we have in Moms, right?? lol Even though my Mom and I have a lot of differences in what we read, there have been so many times she has recommended a book to me, telling me she thought of me while reading it, thinking I'd enjoy it, and I do! :)

    I, too, find myself judging books by their cover.... I always feel guilty and know I shouldn't, but I can't help myself! So, to make myself feel better, any time I start to (negatively) judge a book just by not immediately liking the cover, I make myself read the jacket description and give a conscious effort to considering the plot and author, then determine whether or not I want to read it.

    You said you use NoveList to find books; have you tried Goodreads?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maryanne--I feel like I get lost in goodreads without a map; I also find myself "put off" by a lot of the reader reviews. I have used its lists to come up with titles for book displays at work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally understand it feeling overwhelming, if you're not used to it, and to be honest, I don't really ever make use of the reviews section. I mainly use it for keeping track of my reads, reading lists, annual reading challenge, and finding general info on books.

      Delete
  3. I am so impressed with how many book recommendations you found using NoveList for the books to movie question. For some reason that is one I really struggled with due to the specific years that they were looking for. And I agree with Maryanne. I really like how you wrote this like you were having a conversation with a patron. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job of addressing the patron's requests in a clear and concise manner! Well done! I just want to say I find it amazingly sweet that you use your mom's recommendations. My daughter is 16 and we go to bookstores together regularly, but she prefers to choose her books by herself. I think it's more of a teenage mindset where she feels like she doesn't want her reading material monitored. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Fantastic Fiction. It is so easy to find books and their series on that site. I tried Novelist too. It took longer to see it on the site. I had a problem with the clean thriller, and how to locate it on Novelist. I finally just put in Christian thrillers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like your classmates said, I love how you answered the questions as if you were talking to the patron. Great book recs!

    ReplyDelete

Three ways to market fiction for adults

Displays : Fiction displays are my favorite. I find a theme, make a sign, and put out books that go with the theme.  Some themes     Twist a...