Monday, March 4, 2024

Book Club experience

I attended my own branch’s well established book club. It meets monthly in the branch’s only meeting room on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 4pm and is comprised of all white retirees. I don’t usually attend (reading is a challenge for me) but I provide the group with 3-4 titles each month from which to choose for the following month’s discussion. Usually but not always there is one nonfiction book included among the choices. The club’s leader is the branch’s assistant manager, who in addition to reading the selection looks for information about the book or author to share with the group.

This month’s selection was Lisa See’s historical novel Lady Tan’s Circle of Women. The assistant manager shared a photo of “the marriage bed” referred to in the novel. The photo is of the marriage bed inherited by the author who, like the characters in her book, is of Chinese descent. After that, the only question she needed to ask was, “well, what did you think?” and the discussion took off.  The only man in the club chose not to finish the book (he prefers nonfiction and occasionally literary fiction). He and I were still welcomed into the discussion.


No one dominated the discussion, and no questions or discussion prompts were needed. The group reflected on the ending, wondered why a character behaved differently than expected, agreed that Asian cultures prefer conforming over standing out compared to Westerners. They remarked on sexism in the book, the difference between doctors’ and midwives’ expectations and exposure to patients, and the use of concubines to assure that male heirs were born. The assistant manager shared that she’d read a review of the book that alluded to the friendship between two women as a “thinly veiled” relationship. No one in the group saw it as anything more than a friendship. Everyone participated, including me. Near the end of the hour, I shared three novels and a nonfiction book with the group to choose from. They elected to read Ann Patchett’s Tom Lake for next month (because it was set in Michigan) and also Ben Raines’ The Last Slave Ship (because it was true) for the following month.


The public library system I work for has been talking a lot about combating loneliness being an important role the library can play in the community.  At the end of the club meeting, one of the more elderly participants shared that she is going through an emotional time preparing to move out of her house of 30 years.  The group offered words of encouragement and asked her questions about what she was looking for in a new home and assured her that book club members were friends, too. The man in the book club has told me more than once that the library is his “sanctuary.”  


My library system is also working to centralize all programming and recently defined clubs as patron-led groups that require no staff time.  Another book club run by the Main branch is also led by staff, who told me they are meeting with the Programming department to make an argument for staff-led book clubs, even if other clubs may be run without staff support (e.g. Euchre clubs). I know that my branch’s club has tried taking turns choosing the book and leading the discussion, but found they much prefer that staff take on those roles, if for no other reason than to avoid hurt feelings if someone doesn’t like that month’s book selection. 


10 comments:

  1. It's so heartwarming to see the impact that dedicated librarians, library staff, and book club participants can have on their community. The effort put into making book selections, helping foster inclusive discussions, and providing support beyond the book is honorable. That is wonderful that your library is taking steps to have a discussion around and combat loneliness. I really like the example of the patron who shared her personal struggle and found support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenni! Banned Books Club fizzled out for exactly this reason: it is so difficult to get a patron contact! I think if a patron is coming to a library led book club it is expected and appreciated that there is a staff member to lead the discussion and do all the heavy lifting (including actual lifting like moving tables and chairs). I love that your participants have created a connection outside of just books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haley, it's funny that you mention having trouble getting patron contacts for patron-led clubs. We have the same issue at our library!

      Delete
  3. I love how wonderful this book club has been for your patrons! It's one of my favorite things to hear from patrons about how much they value our time and what we do. That feedback actually reminded me of a quote from a book I'm currently listening to - Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. At one point, Eleanor says "Obviously in principle and reality, libraries are life enhancing palaces of wonder." Your patron feedback supports this quote, I think. The work we do really can change our patrons lives (and our own) and I'm so glad to hear that your library is working towards doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenni! I'm interested in how you choose the books for your book club. You are not the facilitator, so how did you get the job of choosing books?! Seems like fun. Interestingly, our library is currently centralizing programming too, and several of our book clubs are considered "community groups" where staff is not involved, although we do provide some marketing for them and space for them to meet. I really enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa--When I got overwhelmed with reading I asked the asst. mgr. to facilitate. She asked me if I could continue picking the books, which I enjoy doing. I try to get a variety of genres (participants want to be exposed to things they might not usually read), I lean towards books that are bestsellers or award winners, plus a dash of personal preference. Selections are usually a couple of years old or older, but can't be too old, as we need to be able to check out copies of the same title without a waiting list. Tom Lake is a risky choice, but our system has dozens available...

      Delete
    2. I got it! Thanks, Jenni! When I did my book club observation, the facilitator told me that she chooses books that are a few years old too, just to ensure that copies are available! Tom Lake looks good to me!

      Delete
  5. Jenni, this is a great description. I love that the leader said "what do you think?" and that's all it took! I agree that having a staff member lead is valuable. I think you could get a good patron who could do it, but it's hard to find the right one. It's much more likely that the staff person is able to do it. You point out a really good reason - hard feelings if people don't like the book - or are complaining about the behavior of a patron.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This discussion of staff versus patron book clubs is so interesting. I lead the main adult contemporary book club at my library, but have a patron fill in for me when I can't make it (it's not during my normal hours). But even when she leads, I order the book copies, organize and print out discussion questions, send the email reminder, etc. I also manage the book selection- we select 6 books at a time for the next six months so they can be marketed. If I had to defend my role as a paid leader, I would argue that I provide a filter for these choices and for the discussion. I also do a lot of book talking at the beginning and/or end of the meeting. Thankfully, that hasn't come up at my library!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Karis mentioned I am so intrigued by the staff vs. patron led discussion. So interesting! In my system all the book clubs are led by staff on work time. The only patron led library programs are D&D and the gardening club - but even those we have to email, put in catalog, promote, etc. Great discussion and great write up!

    ReplyDelete

Three ways to market fiction for adults

Displays : Fiction displays are my favorite. I find a theme, make a sign, and put out books that go with the theme.  Some themes     Twist a...