Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Three ways to market fiction for adults

Displays: Fiction displays are my favorite. I find a theme, make a sign, and put out books that go with the theme.  Some themes

  •     Twist at the end
  •     Books that will make you cry
  •     Hungry for a mystery? (food theme cozy mysteries)
  •     Horror for Halloween
  •     As seen on TV (celebrity book picks)
I would welcome suggestions for more and look forward to reading everyone's blog posts this week!

Book Clubs: This is a small audience, but I give my club three or four choices every month, presenting them with mini-book-talks. Participants often jot down titles that didn't get picked for their own TBR. We also put up a sign and send out emails to the participants and another dozen or so armchair participants (folks who like to read along but don't attend the club meeting--they will often give staff their two cents on the month's title).

Hot books flyer: The collection development department puts out a flyer every week that highlights new books being released that week, particularly those that are getting good buzz in the media. The flyer features 20 book covers but no description. If I had the opportunity, I would change this to include brief descriptions or reviewer quotes--something to indicate what makes the book noteworthy. This would require more work and more paper, as the flyer would need to become two flyers (one for fiction, one for nonfiction) or it would have to feature fewer titles to fit on a page.

One more way, video book talks: My library releases these occasionally via Facebook. I think there are other avenues that we don't use, but I'm not sure (other social media like YouTube, TikTok). I have made a couple and get the impression that they are not featured regularly but as staff find time to make a video. With unlimited resources, I'd ask every staff member to make one per year to add to a video library.


9 comments:

  1. Hi Jenni! I love your idea about book talks on social media. I would combine your hot books with your book talks to showcase new and upcoming releases. Maybe the thumbnail for the book talks could list the appeals like we do on here. That way it creates a little clickbait and interest for whoever is scrolling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenni, these are great ideas. I like how you plan the displays. I thought about book clubs, and whether these were ways to advertise about the collection. I haven't been a part of these in my library so I don't know how the choice of a book happens, but it seems like it could be a way to get those readers into the collection more. The video talks are a great idea - what if your library started a vlog on its website? I know one thing that worries me about such a thing is just the commitment to keep it up. But I think that could be managed. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenni! I like your last idea - book talks on social media. I feel like sometimes this is a highly effective, but mostly looked over, marketing tool. I know the library in which I work does not utilize book talks on social media, but I definitely think that they should. Other than that, displays are some of my favorite ways to market different parts of our fiction collection. It's just so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayla, I agree with your thoughts about video book talks. I hadn't realized how effective they can be. We don't use them at my library at this time, and I think one of the reasons is the feasibility factor. It might be hard to maintain and get library employees to participate. I still think they're a great promotional tool to get the word out about our collections.

      Delete
    2. Janna, Kayla, and Melissa, yeah, the problem is definitely keeping up momentum!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jenni! I love your display ideas, especially "Twist at the end." I also use physical displays to promote my teen fiction. Here are a few fun themes I've used: 1. "Beloved Books and Their One Star Amazon Reviews" - it's fun to pair a super-popular book next to a write-up of a bad review of the book from Amazon; often these reviews are really funny. 2. "Books That Will Make You LOL" 3. Pairing a fiction book with its graphic novel counterpart. There are so many ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenni! I miss your books displays! I agree that social media can be a great place to discuss and promote fiction titles! Milwaukee Public Library does a great job with their social media, there are many things that they've done that could be easily replicated at many other library systems!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your ideas! I always find myself watching book rec videos!

    ReplyDelete

Three ways to market fiction for adults

Displays : Fiction displays are my favorite. I find a theme, make a sign, and put out books that go with the theme.  Some themes     Twist a...